Saturday, December 8, 2012

See You In Hell My Friend 3.1: Honorable Mentions

Welcome to the addendum edition of SEE YOU IN HELL MY FRIEND. There were so many albums spinning in my mind after concocting the list of 12 albums you've (hopefully) read about in parts 1-3. After writing those blogs, I kept thinking about albums that I couldn't fit into my list, or ones I felt like changing my mind on. So what the hell.....here's a few more for the list. Not every album listed is good, they just helped point the way. Lets start it off with a tie....

ONE
SEPULTURA
Chaos A.D. (1993) Epic Records
Roots (1996) Roadunner Records
"Propaganda"
"Ratamahatta"

It's impossible for me to pick which Sepultura album listed above deserves to be here more than the other, because they went hand in hand for me. The Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight Soundtrack may have been where I first heard Sepultura, but it was Chaos A.D. and Roots that made me a fan.

Roots was the first album I picked up. I remember really enjoying it at the time. At the time I wasn't quite the extreme metal aficionado that I am today, but I thought it was awesome how Sepultura mixed up metal, hardcore and tribal stuff. I came across Chaos A.D. from a friend of mine in 11th grade on the school-bus. He saw that I was listening to the Roots CD on my Discman (remember those?), and asked if I had Chaos A.D. I didn't, so he sold me his copy for $5 the very next day. His loss, my gain!

I absolutely loved these two albums in those angry teen years. I was sad to see Max Cavalera split from the band after Roots to form his nu-metal band Soulfly, as Soulfly was pretty much just Roots-lite.

TWO
OBITUARY - Back From the Dead (1997) Roadrunner Records
"Threatening Skies"

This is an album that definitely doesn't hold up today, but its one that I enjoyed purely out of ignorance. I bought this album because it was heralded as "the return of one of death metal's originators" in Metal Maniacs Magazine. Since I hadn't checked out Obituary yet, I figured this would be the best album to start with.

Big mistake. Had I known then that their earlier albums Slowly We Rot (1989) and Cause of Death (1990) were death metal masterpieces, I would have seen this album as the piece of shit that it is. However, this was my virgin Obituary experience, so my opinion at the time can't be trusted. I liked this CD a lot, and it was one of the CD's that had constant rotation in my car. I tried listening to this album again a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't even make it through the whole thing. The first track, "Threatening Skies," is the most promising song on the album. Take that for what its worth.

THREE
CRADLE OF FILTH - Cruelty and the Beast (1998) Music For Nations Records
"The Twisted Nails of Faith"

Yikes. Do you have a headache yet? I honestly don't know why I ever liked Cradle of Filth. I really don't. Trying to listen to them today is worse than nails on a chalkboard (hence the song I picked!). For some godforsaken reason I thought Cradle of Filth was awesome even when I went off to college. I actually wore a t-shirt of this album out on a date once, and didn't get laid. Big shock!

Cradle of Filth was a band that all three goth girls in my high school loved. So when I bought Dimmu Borgir's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and enjoyed it, I figured Cradle of Filth would be a good band to check out next. Both Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth got me into the symphonic, over-produced black metal. For a long time this was the only type of black metal I'd listen to. Today, you couldn't pay me enough to listen to a new Cradle of Filth album, or any other bullshit symphonic black metal band. However, I used to love them so there you go.

FOUR
WHITE ZOMBIE - Astro Creep 2000 (1995) Geffen Records
"Electric Head Pt. 1 (The Agony)"

What the hell is a former MTV-favorite band doing on a list of extreme metal albums? Blasphemy you say?! Maybe. However, when it comes down to it the first band I ever got into that opened the door for darker music was none other than White Zombie. Astro Creep 2000 was the album that started it all.

Of course, before I was into White Zombie I was already into heavy metal. Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Anthrax and more were already in my CD collection and receiving heavy rotation. But it was White Zombie's Astro Creep 2000 that really clicked with me. White Zombie was a happy medium at a time when I was a bit afraid to listen to the darker, more satanic metal bands out there. Once I was used to White Zombie, I was on to the more extreme stuff. 

Its funny, almost every time heavy metal music is in the limelight, there's the popular stuff and the underground stuff making waves at the same time. When bands like Metallica and Megadeth had the limelight, tons of death metal and black metal bands were forming and damning souls everywhere. When Korn, Limp Bizkit and Slipknot were the next big thing ("nu-metal"), technical metal bands like Mastodon and Opeth came from the underground and spearheaded their own movement.

People are always quick to say bands like Limp Bizkit or Metallica are lame (and they're right), but I've always kept in mind that great things often come from humble beginnings. If I never got into White Zombie, I wouldn't have Napalm Death in my car right now. Everyone starts somewhere, and SEE YOU IN HELL MY FRIEND was where I started.

FOUR-POINT-ONE
There's one more band that deserves an afterthought, even though I was unable to justly fit them anywhere on the list. That band of course is Slayer. The only reason they failed to rank is because they just happened to be a metal band I liked, not necessarily one that set anything off. However, they were a band I listened to during the glory years of 1995-1997, so their importance can't be ignored. I mean, come on...it's Slayer.

I hope you enjoyed this blog series. This is the last entry for it, I promise.

Until the next time you visit The Vintage Warrior here in the Matt-Cave...bow us out Slayer!

SLAYER - Divine Intervention (1994) American Recordings
"Killing Fields"

2 comments:

  1. Dude, I was seriously thinking of that Slayer album as an addition to the list...I remember putting that in my stereo in 9th grade and cranking up "Dittohead." Intense song!

    I'm trying to guess who the girl was you went on the date with when you wore the Cradle of Filth shirt...care to mention?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete