Monday, June 18, 2012

Metal Mondays - The Sword

Welcome to my new blog feature, Metal Mondays. Let it be known that I will never post bands that I don't think friends of mine won't like. For example, you will not get videos from the death metal or black metal scenes. If you know me personally, you've probably already heard your fair share of that stuff.

Metal Mondays will feature classic metal bands, as well as their retro contemporaries. I like my music old, whether its new music or not. So lets start this off with one of my favorite retro-metal bands, The Sword.


The Sword are an interesting metal band, for they have achieved great success in the scene without the help of being signed to a known metal record label. The Sword's first album, Age of Winters, took satellite radio and the internet by storm when it was released in 2006. Hailing from Austin, Texas, The Sword mix classic heavy metal with the fuzzed out sound of the 1970's to give them that special groove. Take a listen to one of their tracks off the first album:

"Winter's Wolves." from Age of Winters. 2006. Kemado Records.

Age of Winters is one hell of an awesome album. It pushed The Sword into several different fanbases, as they often toured with a dizzying array of underground bands in order to get their name out there. Often described as "stoner metal," The Sword proved that they could hang with the 'big boys' of metal, as they've toured with everyone from Metallica to Machine Head.

The Sword's second album, Gods of the Earth, took what the band did on Age of Winters and took it to the next level. This is currently my favorite album by the band. Enjoy a couple of cool tracks from the album. Not only are the songs awesome, but the videos are cool as shit:

"How Heavy This Axe." from Gods of the Earth. (2008) Kemado Records.

"Fire Lances..." from Gods of the Earth. (2008) Kemado Records.

The last album I have to share with you from The Sword is their last studio album, Warp Riders. Released in 2010, The Sword continued their blend of vintage metal with classic rock stylings. This time around they went with a concept album, dealing with a sci-fi narrative written by the band. Honestly, I haven't had the chance to fully digest this album yet, but it's got its jams for sure. Take a listen:

"Warp Riders" from Warp Riders. (2010) Kemado Records.

The Sword is currently on tour, and will be recording their next album at the end of the month for their new record label, Razor & Tie. I'm not sure if I've made you a fan, but I sure as hell am looking forward to it!

I hope you enjoyed the first installment of Metal Mondays. Not sure yet who I'll expose you to next week, but chances are it will be worth the wait!

THE SWORD 
(circa 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment