Friday, May 18, 2012

Vinyl Friday! - Total Score

I had a pretty good haul today at one of my favorite book stores/vinyl shops. I didn't go hog-wild or anything, but the albums I got definitely "filled a couple holes" in the collection.

The Doors - Strange Days (1967)

This was the win for the day, as Strange Days was the last Doors album I needed to make my collection complete. I now have the entire Doors discography in vinyl form (with the exception of Other Voices, a post-Morrison album. I'm sure I'll find it eventually.) I've always really liked the cover for this album. It's so happy and whimsical. I think it captures the "vibe on the street" very well for 1967. It shows me that life in 1967 was a total party, even with the weight of the world on our shoulders. Brilliant. My favorite song off this album is of course "People are Strange." Not only is it one of the best songs on the album, it's one of my favorite Doors songs of all time. I don't care if you've heard it a million times already. Here's a live version of it. Rock it loud and hard!


The only other album I picked up this week was Paul McCartney & WingsBand on the Run, another "must have" album for any vinyl enthusiast.

Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run (1973)


Ever since picking up a Wings Greatest Hits album, I've been going back and looking for McCartney solo albums, as well as the stuff he did with Wings. I never really gave this band much of a chance back in the day, but that is something I try to forget. Wings sounds like a progressive step away from the Beatles and into a different pop band (gee, I wonder who's responsible for that!). Again, my favorite song off this album is the title track, but here's a live clip of "Band on the Run" to help mix it up from the version you've heard ad nauseum on the radio.


Other choice nuggets I picked up today was the Exiled one-shot from Marvel (Disney) Comics. It's part-one of a 5-part crossover between New Mutants and Journey Into Mystery. I cannot tell you enough how much I've been enjoying Journey Into Mystery. The "Kid Loki" story has been an absolute joy. Its funny as hell, and you can't help but love the little shit. I recommend any fan of the comics, the movies or whatever to check it out. Kieron Gillen's run on the book picks up on a lot of things from the Thor book that Matt "suckass" Fraction has been ignoring. Journey Into Mystery is the best Asgardian book on the shelf!


I also picked up a couple of VHS classics, as they were a buck apiece. There's certain movies that just need to be watched on VHS, as the gritty nature of some films gets totally lost in a digital transfer. Sometimes, Blu-Ray just looks too real and makes the fakeness of certain '70's or '80's classics lose its charm. For that reason, I picked up Terminator and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. These movies are classics from my childhood, and are worthy additions to the Matt-Cave.

Terminator (1984)
I think I was 6 when I first watched this movie with my mom. Kinda explains a lot...


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
I was 10 years old when this came out. I can still hear the f.h.e. theme music in my head!


Enjoy a couple clips from the flicks. Nostalgia rules, and that's why I love Vinyl Friday! You never know what I'm going to get. :)

One of the most epic movie endings ever!


"Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for a late pizza."


I hope you enjoyed this week's Vinyl Friday! Until next time...take us out, Jim...


1 comment:

  1. When I look at the Strange Days cover I see the whimsy of it but also feel an almost sinister undercurrent. Maybe it's because I think of the darkly apocalyptic title track when I look at it.

    You got Ninja Turtles on VHS? I did a week ago! I was just telling John the other day, it's one of the last of those gritty street action movies from the late '80s (I know it came out in '90, but it must have been filmed in '89). John mentioned how the Shredder in that one was no joke!

    Band On the Run stands with Harrison's All Things Must Pass as the two best Beatles solo albums. I love the title track, and "Jet". I also love Nineteen Hundred Eighty Five. An intense few minutes of piano based music that reprises the Band On the Run theme at the end...amazing! The album almost to me sounds like it has the same vibe as his stuff from Abbey Road.

    ReplyDelete