Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Today's Tunes - Day 1

Here's a new semi-regular feature for the ol' blog here. I'll be calling this one "Today's Tunes."

I often work in front of a computer, and I like to listen/watch stuff on Youtube in-between phone calls and emails. Whenever I come across more than a couple of jams a day that make me go "my people must be forced to endure this," a new "Today's Tunes" will be unveiled.

On today's platter, we have Black Sabbath, Skrillex and Billy Idol.


Let's start with the Gods of Awesome...the mighty Black Sabbath. I have not talked enough about this band, and I criminally excluded them from the Temple of Doom series I wrote. This is something I may never forgive myself for. Regardless...On With The Show!!!

"Hard Road." from Never Say Die! (1978)


Never Say Die! is a Black Sabbath album that just never gets enough respect. It's famous for being the last to feature Ozzy Osbourne as their lead singer but that's about it. Other than the title track and "Junior's Eyes," there wasn't really a whole lot of push behind this album. "Hard Road" is one of my favorite songs off this extremely under-appreciated album. This album shows a potential future for Black Sabbath that never became realized. I think it would have been interesting to see what the next Black Sabbath album with Ozzy would have been like, rather than the extreme rejuvenation they got when Ronnie James Dio became their singer.

An excellent photo of Black Sabbath with Van Halen, circa 1978.
Van Halen was the opening act for Black Sabbath's final tour with Ozzy.

Time to take a completely different turn, and go into the realms of electronica...


Skrillex is a guy who fits the general mold of "make a kickass music video, and the fans will come." In my opinion, the music videos that Skrillex puts out are a million times better than the actual music. But damn him for actually getting those songs stuck in my head. There's quite a few Skrillex songs out there that I find enjoyable, and I'm not the only one. Have a look at his videos for "Bangarang," "First of the Year" and "Ruffneck." I find myself both watching these videos and listening to the songs often. Not sure why.

"Bangarang." from Bangarang EP (2011)

"First of the Year (Equinox)." from More Monsters and Sprites EP (2011)

"Ruffneck (Full Flex)" from More Monsters and Sprites EP (2011)

Despite the awesomeness of the videos and your opinion on the music, Skrillex looks like a complete and total dork. Even though looks don't make the music, just take a look at this guy:

Is it just me, or does this guy kinda look like Leonard from The Big Bang Theory?


And now it's time to get your IDOL on! That's right, it's time for Billy Idol. And not just the Billy Idol that you know. This is the Billy Idol that tried to stay relevant in the early 1990's and failed miserably. This is the "cyberpunk" version of Billy Idol!

We all know songs such as "Rebel Yell," "White Wedding," "Dancin' With Myself" and "Cradle of Love" by Billy Idol. But here's one that you may not remember. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if you didn't. But it might hurt Billy's...

"Shock to the System." from Cyberpunk (1993)

I've always loved both this song and the video, as it reminds me of old VHS culture. It plays out as something that could have been seen in Terminator or any of those mid-80's sci-fi flicks. Even though it was released in 1993 and didn't exactly put Billy Idol back on top of the charts...its still a damn fine jam and an entertaining video.

If I was Billy Idol, I wouldn't give a shit about anything either.

So there you have it! Hopefully you enjoyed some cool videos and a fine jam or two. You may see me again next week, or you may not. We'll see how it goes.

Keeping it eclectic as always, this is The Vintage Warrior signing out....



2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing Billy Idol on the Tonight Show promoting "Cyberpunk" in '93. I remember the song he did being pretty unmemorable, and that he also had dreads.

    I listened to "Never Say Die" about a month ago by myself (well, myself and about 4 beers) in my basement den. And I loved it. If it's the worst of the Ozzy/Sabbath era it's still better than everything they did after, and better than a lot of other bands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, "Shock to the System" kicks ass!

    ReplyDelete