Sunday, May 13, 2012

My Unholy Night with GHOST

After a good long week of work in California, I came home with the excitement of knowing that on Saturday night I would see the greatest metal band that exists today. GHOST!!!


So, who is this band GHOST you may ask? They're a Swedish group who take a vintage 1970's rock sound and mix it with the theatrics of metal. Most people describe them as "Blue Oyster Cult meets Mercyful Fate." In my opinion, that description fits them pretty well. They only have one album out so far (Opus Eponymous) but a new album is supposed to be out later this year. Hopefully so!

GHOST was the opening act for Opeth and Mastodon on their "Heritage Hunter" tour for 2012. I took the ladyfriend with me as well for shits n' giggles. She may never admit it, but I saw her bobbing her head to a few of the songs. Busted, baby.

The show was at The Masquerade in Atlanta, Georgia. This place looked like it had caught on fire at least 17 times but was still standing. A frightful building indeed.

Metal venues are great, aren't they?
Note the cop sitting on the spool of electrical cable.

Thankfully the concert was outdoors. It was a beautiful day, not too hot and not too cold. Perfect for a night of theatrical blasphemy.

GHOST was the only band we were there to see. I haven't been impressed with anything Opeth has done since the early 2000's. We stayed for a few of their songs, but that was it. I'm not a big fan of Mastodon either. They've got some jams, but my current tastes in metal lie elsewhere right now. This night was all about GHOST. So, after our beers were done and my lower back started to hurt...we said 'fuck it' and left while Opeth was playing something slow and boring. 



It didn't seem like GHOST got to play for a very long time, but their performance alone was worth the price of admission. They played their entire album, with the exception of the final track (an instrumental) and their cover of "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles. If you've never heard this, do so now. It's probably the most haunting Beatles cover you'll ever hear.

This song is set to scenes from the Kenneth Anger film, Lucifer Rising.
Most likely done by a Youtube dude, rather than GHOST.
It has nothing to do with the song, but it does make for an interesting view.



Enjoy a few pics I took of the performance, and a video of the "Deuce Culpa" intro and "Con Clavi Con Dio." I would have recorded more, but I realized too late that I was holding my phone the wrong way while recording and my arm was getting sore anyway. I much rather wanted to throw up the "metal horns" more than I did the camera. 

The best part of the show was after they were done playing, the Ghostbusters song came blaring through the speakers. That was a big hit with the crowd!

There were a bunch of people there wearing Burger King hats.
I don't get it either.

GHOST had a lot of fans in the audience. You can't tell in this pic, but people were going nuts for them.

A close-up of the main Ghoul himself, Papa Emeritus. 

Trust me, next time I film a song live I'll flip the damn smartphone the right way.
Still, the sound quality of this is amazing.

"Ritual." from Opus Eponymous. (2010)

1 comment:

  1. I saw Ghost in Grand Rapids, yes they were awesome! They had time to play their whole set and the Beatles cover, but didn't happen. Young Matt Jones you still have room to grow Opeth was awesome. We went back stage and met Opeth super nice guys. We walked by Ghost's dressing room and the door was partly opened, I was tempted but who wants to find out they are really Kiss with different costumes?

    ReplyDelete