Sunday, April 8, 2012

Sunday Worship: A Journey Through The Technis Imperative

For this Easter Sunday, I spent my morning in the Matt-Cave not only watching my old VHS copy of Don’t Be A Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice In Da Hood, but I also listened to the first 3 Journey albums and read JLA/Titans: The Technis Imperative.

What can I say; I get a lot accomplished in the Matt-Cave.

(1996)

Don’t Be A Menace is still funny, even after all these years. Its dated as fuck, but that’s what adds to its charm (especially when watching it on VHS). Created by some of the Wayans brothers, Don’t Be A Menace was a mockery of all the “hood” movies that were coming out in the mid-90’s. What we wind up getting is a mish-mash of seemingly unrelated “thug life” scenes that culminate in many hijinks and jokes towards both “the man,” O.J. Simpson, poor black women’s propensity for having a lot of children, young fathers and of course the sucking of dick for cheeseburgers and directions.

Here’s a compilation from the movie. Enjoy.


I absolutely love the first 3 Journey albums. One, Steve Perry isn’t their singer on them. Two, they are some of the best jam-rock records ever recorded. Three, these albums sound completely different than anything else Journey has ever recorded.


My favorite of the trilogy is their first album, Journey. The track "Of A Lifetime" alone is worth the price of the album. What makes me really happy is that I hear things on my vinyl copy of Journey that I don’t hear on the CD. This is one of the albums in my record collection that I fear I will wear out at some point.


Journey’s second album, Look Into The Future, isn’t a bad album but this is when the band was starting to move away from the psychedelic jam-rock to a more commercialized sound. I’d say about half of the album has songs that could have been hits if Steve Perry was singing them, instead of Gregg Rolie. The album still has a jam-oriented feel to them, just not as much as the first album.


In my opinion, Journey’s last good album was their third album, Next. This album was a further progression from Look Into The Future, but was their next step towards commercial success. The first track on the album, “Spaceman,” is a good representation of what Journey was going for before their sound completely changed when Steve Perry came on board.


I haven’t read JLA/Titans: The Technis Imperative since my old buddy Jason let me borrow it around the time of the millennium.


To be honest, this story doesn't hold up. I remember thinking it was really awesome when I was 21, but the style of the late-90’s comics bore me to tears now. Awkward dialogue runs rampant, and the whole book was simply an excuse to throw every main character in the DC Universe at the time into an event book. I usually enjoy massive gatherings of heroes and villains, but this just reminded me of the upcoming Marvel event Avengers Vs. X-Men, which is practically the same story and the perfect example of how this type of thing is still regurgitated year after year. Boring!

In addition to great art from Phil Jimenez, I did think there were some really cool team-ups and battles, but I think I’m just getting to a point where I’m bored with the old clichés of comics. Having said that, this image is cool as shit:


So there you have it, a good dose of Sunday Worship on an Easter Sunday. I hope y’all had a good one, and I hope to see you in the Matt-Cave with me next Sunday!


2 comments:

  1. I like the scene in "Don't Be a Menace" where it shows the guys at the party with progressively baggy pants.

    I love the early prog-era of Journey, but Steve Perry is one of my favorite singers. Love his stuff, but he does get a bit gay at times. (His first solo album was called "Street Talk." Why, because he was from the streets?)

    I like how the Technis Imperative was sandwiched between 2 DC events (1,000,000, and the Kingdom). It does make it seem really dated for sure, but at the time the tying together of all those events was pretty exciting. This also features my favorite era of the JLA, when in addition to the "big 7" they also had all of those diverse members...Steel, Huntress, Barda, Zauriel, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DC One Million was a fun story, but I think its one of those stories that suffered from too many tie-ins where major things happened in some of the tie-ins. My trade collection of the story fucking sucks because of that. It has all these one-page recaps of stuff that sounds awesome. Really annoying! I do have a lot of the tie-ins as single-issues, though.

    I hear ya on that era of the JLA, although I was never a fan of characters like Zauriel and Aztek. Steel always rules!!

    ReplyDelete