Sunday, April 15, 2012

Sunday Worship: Hangin' with Bobby at the Zero Hour

I had a real early start this wonderful Sunday morning. Lots to do, lots to do. But that's not going to stop me from enjoying a comic book while I listen to a record or two. It IS Sunday, after all.

Since I just wrote up the "Magical World of Bobby Liebling & Pentagram" blog last night, I still had crazy ol' Bobby on the brain this morning so I threw in the only Pentagram album I have on vinyl, "A Keg Full of Dynamite."


This is a live album that was recorded in 1978, but wasn't released until 2003. It was recorded at some local dive called "The Keg," and isn't the best live recording out there but it still has its charm for sure. Featuring many songs from those early days (many of which were re-recorded on later Pentagram albums), "A Keg Full of Dynamite" is a fine addition to your metal vinyl collection. Here, have a tasty jam...on me.


While jamming out to Pentagram, I also read the old DC Comics classic "Zero Hour: A Crisis in Time." Even though I already have the book, the issues were on sale for 99 cents each from ComiXology (for my Kindle Fire), so I bought 'em. I figured in a world where I can spend just under $5 for 5 books when $4.26 (tax included) only gets you ONE Marvel book...that's a good deal.


This is still a book that holds up, even though it was originally released in 1994. I had forgotten how many important things happened in this book that went on to affect the DC Universe as a whole. We got to see the introduction of Impulse (who would later go on to become Kid Flash), the deaths of many of the original members of the Justice Society, Hawkman's merging into the "Hawk God," and even the birth of Power Girl's now non-existent magic-baby. Guy Gardner was just beginning to show his Vuldarian powers for the first time. Donna Troy was a Darkstar. Hal Jordan was the evil Parallax, hellbent on remaking the universe. Superman had recently just come back from the dead, and Batman was freshly back on the scene after having his back broken. This was definitely an exciting time for DC fans.

The book has always had a very polarized audience. Some people love it while others hate it. I've always been in the "love it" camp, mainly because it was one of the first DC books I read that got me back into comics. Books like this featured a ridiculous amount of characters, so it was nice to get an introduction to a bunch of them. It certainly helped that I had a good buddy by my side to explain everything for me.

When looking for pics to throw up for this blog, I found this old advertisement for Zero Hour:


This advertisement might not seem like a big deal, but I think its quite telling about the industry as a whole. Zero Hour was a story released in 1994. Yet, nearly every single "event" story that gets released by both DC and Marvel all promise that things are "shaken to their core" and that "everything will change." Yet nothing ever does. Its 2012, and I still hear the same exact claims about upcoming stories that were put on this ad in 1994. I suppose its the "illusion of change" that keeps us all reading the same shit year after year. Then again, maybe this is why I read just as many independent non-superhero books as I do superhero books. Something tells me the non-superhero side will wind up winning in the end.

Who am I kidding, I'll probably always read Superman and Batman.


Until next Sunday my faithful. Until then...bow 'em out Bobby.

1 comment:

  1. Zero Hour brings back memories of being in 9th grade. I can remember how excited I was for this event, as it was a follow-up to "Crisis." I love the artwork in this one too...Jurgens inked by Ordway is pure magic. I love how Superman takes the lead, and when the possessed Team Titans attack he barks out "Defense Positions!" like a drill sergeant.

    I like how the universe was rebuilt, but time happened basically the same as before with "subtle differences." (The only one I can think of is Batman never finding out who killed his parents)

    ReplyDelete