Friday, March 9, 2012

Vinyl Friday!

This is the beginning of what potentially may be a weekly blog I do about one of my loves in life. And that of course is vinyl records.

I am lucky to live in a town that is close to a city that has a ridiculous amount of vinyl record stores. In a 35-minute-radius alone, there are SEVEN of them that all have different reasons for visiting them. Obviously, my record collection has doubled since moving here and I regret nothing.

Since Friday is when I spend my late afternoons searching through a shop or two, I figured I'd start this series off with discussion about my most recent acquisitions:


Let's start with The Doors - L.A. Woman...


This is a great album. I'm not sure if it gets the respect it deserves. I think a lot of people dismiss it as the "Fat Elvis" period of The Doors, as Jim Morrison was a brain-dead bloated idiot by this point in the band's career. Despite Morrison's downward spiral, "L.A. Woman" not only has some of the more common Doors songs you hear on the radio (L.A. Woman, Love Her Madly, Riders on the Storm), but it has a slew of blues/rock infusion mixed with slower songs that give you an odd listening experience, but an enjoyable one all the same. One of my favorite songs on this album, "The Changeling," can be heard in the link above.

Jimi Hendrix - The Jimi Hendrix Concerts


I really have no idea if this album is available on CD. That's up to you to find out, and I strongly urge you to do so if you don't have a record player. This is one of the better live Hendrix albums I've come across. I don't recognize many of the songs on it, but that's not to say that it doesn't have any of the "hits" on it either. When it comes to Hendrix, I find that I really only like his first album and that song "All Along the Watchtower." Other than maybe a track or two here and there and his Woodstock Live album, I always thought I didn't need much more Hendrix. WRONG. This album is full of awesome. If you see it, add it to your collection.

Judas Priest - Priest...Live!




Ok, so the above video isn't actually from the "Priest...Live!" live album, it's from "Unleashed in the East," which as any die-hard Judas Priest fan will tell you, is the superior live album (as well as their most essential album to own). That's not to say that "Priest...Live!" isn't any good. It's just from the 1980's period of the band, where the songs were getting less and less...good.  This was the commercialized-era of Judas Priest, so with that comes their big singles, like "Livin' After Midnight," "Breaking the Law" and "You've Got Another Thing Coming." This is also the era of the band that produced such classics as...


Let's just say that the completest in me made it necessary to own a live album that captures the essence of Judas Priest at their most commercialized, lamest point. As soon as I find "Painkiller" on vinyl, the Priest collection will be complete.

Van Halen - Van Halen 




If that picture doesn't capture the essence of Van Halen back in the day, I don't what does. I only have two Van Halen albums on vinyl, their first album and "1984." Many people would argue that those are the only ones you need to own, and I can't say that I disagree. With the exception of "And the Cradle Will Rock" and a couple others, the first Van Halen album has most of their best songs, and "1984" isn't too shabby either. Here's Van Halen's cover of The Kinks' "You Really Got Me" off their debut album. Its one of the best rock covers ever. (the original is damn good too!)


And last but not least, Yes - YESterdays...


I've got a lot of Yes albums on vinyl. Some of them were my mom's that were handed down to me. Just as it was with Pink Floyd, Yes was a band I'd listened to since I was a kid. In my opinion they are one of the best examples of "psychedelic rock" you will find from the late 1960's/early 1970's. Of course, Yes cheesed waaaaaay the fuck out in the 1980's with such corporate rock hits as "Owner of a Lonely Heart," but I prefer to remember them as the weird trippy band my mom always listened to when there were no Pink Floyd albums handy. Ian Anderson of Yes has one of the most distinct voices you'll ever hear. His voice is definitely divisive. You either like his vocals or you don't, kinda like Geddy Lee from Rush.


So yeah, this might be a regular thing. If I score some new vinyl, I'll share some of it with you Friday night. If I didn't score anything, then I'll dig something out of the collection to share. From now on, Friday night is Vinyl Friday! Grab your headphones.

6 comments:

  1. Nice post.

    I daresay that the Doors song "Riders On the Storm" is their best. The musicianship is amazing, and they do an incredible job creating an atmosphere.

    "Turbo Lover" is one of my '80s metal guilty pleasure songs. I first heard "Priest...Live" about 3 years ago after my ex-bandmate Earl lent me a copy (dubbed on cassette no less, to give me the full '80s experience).

    It's cool you made Friday into a theme day, I was actually thinking of starting up "Metal Friday," as I typically spend Friday nights hanging in the office listening to metal while Jenna works late. Ironically, that did not happen tonight as Jenna took the day off. Next on the metal docket is the 2000 "Iommi" solo album. Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fuck yeah man, do it! I remember that Iommi album. I listened to it about a year ago and I really didn't like it.

    Turbo Lover is a guilty pleasure of mine as well. There's a couple tracks off the "Turbo" album I like, but i still can't bring myself to pay $5-10 for it on vinyl or otherwise. I'm happy with my cdr for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, I noticed you mentioned how cheesy Yes got with "Owner of a Lonely Heart." Did you ever hear the "Big Generator" album that came out afer, in 1987? It was basically part 2 of the "90125" album.

    Have you ever heard the "Drama" album they did with the two guys from the Buggles? I really like that album, and it may be their heaviest release. Probably the last classic album by them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, never heard Big Generator or Drama. I've seen Drama around, though. Maybe I'll get it some day. I was rocking my "Tales of Topographic Oceans" vinyl yesterday, it was epic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all of the points keep up the good work.Thanks for sharing this.

    generator hire & new generator sales

    ReplyDelete