Friday, March 30, 2012

Vinyl Friday! - Week 3

Howdy vinyl fans, its time for another installment of Vinyl Friday!

In my vain attempts throughout the week to deal with Sampson's passing, I wound up having a great vinyl haul. It was as if his spirit was right there with me, helping me find the good stuff. :)

So let's take a look at what new jams will be gracing my record player tonight!

Beach Boys - Wow! Great Concert!, Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Derek & The Dominoes - Layla,
Bob Marley & The Wailers - Survival, Elvis Presley - The Sun Sessions, Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry

First up is Beach Boys - Wow! Great Concert!
I was torn between this and another Beach Boys live record from the early days. I opted for this one because it had the same track-listing as the other, with a couple exceptions. Plus, it was a buck cheaper. I can't say this is an essential Beach Boys album to have, but it's nice to hear them live from their early days. This album features a few songs that I haven't heard before as well, including a cover of "Monster Mash." That right there is pretty much what sold me on the album!


I couldn't believe it when I found Black Sabbath's Paranoid on vinyl today. This is an album that I figured could never be found for a decent price due to it being their most popular album. But there it was...for $5. The cover is a bit worn, but the record was in great shape. I'm now only a couple albums away from my Sabbath collection being complete!

Since I'm sure you've heard the popular tracks from this album ad nauseum, I posted the entire album. Bam.

I was also surprised to find a Derek & The Dominoes - Layla. I've always been an Eric Clapton fan to some extent, be it his work with D&TD, Cream, Yardbirds and his '80's stuff. Even though i'm a blues fan, I don't really dig his blues albums. I'd much rather go listen to the real thing. Regardless, Derek & The Dominoes were a great band, and "Layla" is one of my all-time favorite classic rock jams. This album also has another favorite of mine, "Bell Bottom Blues." Enjoy. 


I found myself listening to that Bob Marley & the Wailers live album I picked up a few weeks ago a lot, so when I saw Survival today, I decided to go ahead and give it a chance. I'd really like to expand beyond the jams of Marley as far as reggae goes, so if anyone has a suggestion (other than Peter Tosh's "Legalize It" album, thank you very much) I'm all ears.

But yeah, this is a really nice, relaxing album. What Marley is singing about isn't so nice and relaxing, but then again that's what makes reggae good, right?


I've been after a good Elvis Presley album for awhile too, so when I found The Sun Sessions I snagged it up. Usually, the problem with Presley records is that there's so many of them out there that its hard to find one with a decent enough track-listing to pick one up. The Sun Sessions features most of his early tracks, which were heavily influenced by the blues (as well as country and bluegrass). This happens to be one of my favorite Elvis periods as well, so finding this at a decent price was a welcome surprise.


Last and certainly not least....Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry!!
This is really the only album to have by Twisted Sister. It has "I Wanna Rock" and "We're Not Going to Take It." Seriously, what else do you need? Mint condition for $5, a bargain. Since you've heard those songs a bunch I'm sure, here's one you might not have:


And there you have it for this week's Vinyl Friday! I hope you enjoyed some good tunes with me. I thank everyone who offered condolences and remembrances of Sampson this week. It really meant a lot to me.

Hope to see you same time next week!


4 comments:

  1. I see that Beach Boys record from time to time at various stores. Apparently it's an abridged version with an alternate cover of "Beach Boys Concert", which was originally released in 1964 by Capitol. This version was released by Pickwick. The Beach Boys have a LOT of these weird alternates and compilations. I love that "Monster Mash" cover, by Mike "Boris" Love!

    Have you found a copy of Black Sabbath Feat. Tony Iommi "Seventh Star?" I saw one at a record store in East Lansing for $10.

    Good Twisted Sister song. I remember it being the one they were performing during their cameo in "Pee Wee's Big Adventure."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the track listing of that Beach Boys live album, I see on almost every early-era live album by them. it was only $5 though so I can't complain.

    Dude, I think you were with me when I got Seventh Star! I bought that shit in Kalamazoo at that one thrift store near campus. The album fucking sucks, but I keep it for the collection of course.

    Dimmu Borgir do an epic black metal version of 'Burn in Hell' but the older i get the more I like the Twisted Sister version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I don't remember you buying "Seventh Star." "Living on the streets, I'm no stranger to love..." Great, now that song is gonna be in my head. Do you remember watching the video at Castle Wheaton with Ferraro and when Glenn Hughes came on the screen with his huge mullet Ferraro goes, "Who's that, Travis Tritt?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Yeah man, good times. That song is so horrible. Tony Iommi had horrible taste. Did you ever hear the second Iommi album, that was all the B-sides from the Glen Hughes recordings? I proudly never have.

    ReplyDelete