Friday, March 16, 2012

Vinyl Friday! - Week 2

Welcome to Week 2 of VINYL FRIDAY!

This is my favorite day of the week. It even trumps New Comic Book Day on Wednesday, because Friday is when I spend my late afternoons in Little Five Points of Atlanta. This is my favorite spot in Atlanta, because its full of hipsters, hippies, homeless people, weirdos, bars and cool vinyl shops.

Today I went to Full Moon Records and Wax N Facts Records. Afterwards, I went to The Porter Pub for 2 pints of Sweetwater IPA and looked over my acquisitions for the day:


Beatles - Rarities, Doors - Alive She Cried, Bob Marley & The Wailers - Live!

I was surprised to find the Beatles record, in near-mint condition, for only $8. I've seen this record at other shops for as much as $40! So hell yeah, I kept my mouth shut and snagged it. This is an AMAZING record! It features alternate takes of Beatles songs that were only available overseas. Songs such as Love Me Do, Help!, I Am The Walrus, Penny Lane, etc, all had various takes taken, and for some reason or another some of these different takes appeared on the international releases. 

I'd have to say my favorite track on this album so far is "Sie Liebt Dich," otherwise known as "She Loves You." The Beatles sing much of this song in German. Its amazing. If you can't find your own copy of "Rarities," you can still hear this version on "Past Masters," which is still widely available on CD.



Next up on deck is the Doors - Alive She Cried.

This is a live album released in 1983, but was recorded from various live shows between 1968-1970. This live record features a lot of lesser-known Doors songs, such as "Texas Radio & The Big Beat," "Gloria," "Little Red Rooster" and "You Make Me Real."

As with any live Doors album, you get to experience the raw wonder that was Jim Morrison and the Doors. This is a great track off the album:


Last but certainly not least, Bob Marley & The Wailers Live!


I'm not the biggest fan of reggae in the world, but I've always been the typical American who appreciates the jams of Bob Marley. I picked up this live album because it had some songs I wasn't entirely familiar with, and it was only $5 so what the hell. The guy who owned the shop (this would be at Full Moon) got all excited when I brought this up to the counter. He said that it was his favorite Bob Marley album, and how happy he was that I was picking it up (especially on vinyl).


Well that's this week's Vinyl Friday! I hope you've enjoyed some tracks off these albums with me. I know that I'm enjoying them!

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff man. I never even heard of the Beatles Rarities record. Is that a Capital Records release? Capital released a lot of stuff in the '70s from their archives, like their only live album "Live At the Hollywood Bowl." The Beach Boys have an album called Rarities too, which Capital released in the early '80s. It's a collectible as far as records go, I guess there weren't many copies made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, its from Capitol Records. Probably from the same series as the Beach Boys one. Its got a lot of good tracks on it, if you ever see it...snag it!

    ReplyDelete